4 Ways To Start And Maintain Physical Exercise
Posted on January 9th, 2013
- Set specific attainable goals. Once you have met them, add more.
- Walk around the block after dinner.
- Get off the bus or subway one stop early.
- Use half of your lunch break to exercise.
- Do a few biceps curls each time you take the milk out of the refrigerator.
Make your exercise fun and convenient
- Opt for activities you enjoy - bowling and dancing are more fun than a treadmill in the basement.
- Find a partner to exercise with you.
- Choose times that fit your schedule.
- Vary your routine - swim one day and mountain bike the next.
- Challenge your strength or endurance once or twice a week and do moderate workouts on other days.
- Track your progress by recording your activity.
- Reward your success with a new book, movie, or some workout clothes.
Keep your exercise safe
- Warm-up before you start and cool-down when you are done.
- Wear light-colored or reflective clothing that is appropriate for the environmental conditions.
- Don’t overdo it - alternate hard days with easy days and take a day off when you need it.
- Listen to your body so you stop before an injury occurs.
Smolin, L. A., & Grosvenor, M. B. (2010). Nutrition: science and applications (2nd ed.). Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.
Questions or comments? Send me an email